Saturday, May 17, 2014

The rules have been... ... changed.

I just finished the book Insurgent. The odd part is that the actual title is only brought up once during the book, and towards the end at that. Overall, I liked the story a lot, and if you haven't read the series yet, I recommend that you read it, because I guarantee that if you read it and don't like it, you will not have wasted your time.

Many many posts ago, I talked about unexpected twists and turns in plot, right? I would now like to bring that back to the surface with this book. If you have read Divergent, you know that the giant simulation at the end of the story is a plot twist. Its sequel therefore, could be compared to a winding path, in which you are shrouded in darkness. There are so many places that something expected is left out, or something unexpected just pops up out of nowhere in Insurgent. Here are a few examples:


  1. "'Who told me what three factions you had an aptitude for, and what our best chance was to get you to come here, and to but your mother in the last simulation to make it more effective.' She looks through the doorway... and through the haze of drugs, I see him. Caleb." (Roth 357)
  2. "...because I just remembered something: Maybe I can't hold a gun. But I have a knife in my back pocket."
  3. "'I have a message for the Divergent... This is not a negotiation. It is a warning... Every two days until one of you delivers yourself to the Erudite headquarters, this will happen again.' This.
There is one more potent example of this that will be revealed in the <<<<SPOILER ALERT>>>> at the end of the page. With just these few examples, I doubt that I have given away anything to valuable. If you have read this book, you may know exactly what I mean. If you haven't, read the series... NOW! Otherwise, keep reading, until next time.


<<<<SPOILER ALERT>>>>
Here is the last quote that I would like to share with you. It is housed at the very end of the book. I mean really the very total and complete last page of the book end. Do not read this if you have not read the book, unless you aren't planning to, because I don't want to ruin it for you.

"My name will be Edith Prior," she says. "And there is much I am happy to forget."

If you have read the book, you know the impact of this quote. And I will leave you with that.

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing series and I loved reading this book. However, the first book in the series was definitely my favorite because the second book wasn't as orderly as the first and I'm just plain bitter about the last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally liked the second one better. I felt like the first was a little overdramatisized personally, while the second felt a lot more realistic considering the circumstances. And Caleb. He pretty much was part of what made the book.

    ReplyDelete