Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Periodic Post of Scary Newness

I am now reading the book: Leviathan
by Scott Westerfield

I have high hopes for this book. Very high. So high in fact, that I decided to do extra research on the leviathan.

A leviathan was originally defined as a giant sea monster, in which was probaby very scary, and if you encountered one, you would most certainly die. Judging by the cover of the book , and the front inside cover (I have nothing else to call whatever it is), this is probably not so.
Here is a picture of the mythical leviathan. As you can see: it is a giant dragon, which lives in the sea (or ocean, or water if you will). If this creature doesn't scare you, it should. I mean it from the deepest darkest, and most utterly black parts of my heart. If it does scare you, you are probably a mortal human being. If you want to meet this sea monster in real life, then I pray that you change your mind before it is too late (though it might already be too late...).

According to the front inside cover (i still don't have a name for it), the darwinists created a giant whale airship in which they lovingly call leviathan (giving you our book title). The two main characters are the prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and a woman disguised as a man, whom is a brilliant airman.
Once again, I have quite high hopes for this book. Until then, keep reading.

P.S. I don't want those who have read to spoil the book for me. If you do I will find you...

8 comments:

  1. You are so humorous, and I swear I won't ruin the book for you, cause it’s on my "to read" list. So I was so happy to see this post, also happy how it doesn’t contain spoilers. This is so cool to see the background information on the title. Who knows, maybe this scary creature does have something to do with the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I read your post, I knew everything there is to know about leviathans. It is very impressive how much research you did. The only thing is that by the time I finished reading your post, I still knew almost nothing about the book. Maybe you could inculde some more info in a later post. Great post, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. note: i haven't read the book yet. notice the title: post of NEWness

      Delete
  3. Does your title imply that you only post new things periodically, that the scariness of the newness is periodic, or that the book itself is new? Regardless, your post was very informative about the mythical leviathan. Maybe that plays into the story more than you know at this point. Hopefully next time you can share some more information about the plot itself- I was still very confused as to why the airship was created, what the main characters are attempting to do, and what the connection is between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of this book but from the sounds of this it seems pretty good. I enjoyed learning about the research you did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is really cool that you went above and beyond to find out new things inside your book to get a better experience out of it! It's always a neat thing to look at old myths also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Sounds like some good mythology! That monster does sound life taking. Hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete